119

From CowleyRoad.org
Jump to: navigation, search

This is the page for 119 Cowley Road.

<< EOCC 121 >>


2017: The pub being refurbished, about to reopen as a Brewdog bar.

Sept 2017 - present

The pub reopened in September 2017 under new ownership by large brewing company Brewdog. The interior was completely remodelled, and the underused outdoor seating area demolished and replaced with a much larger metal terrace. New 'graffiti' was added to the external wall, covering the ghost sign of the original Allsopps brewers.

2017

2017: New Inn Social has recently returned to its original name after a spell being called 'Harry's' and formerly 'The Corridor'.

In March 2017, the pub reverted to its original name of The New Inn. Prior to this it had been operating for a brief while under the name "Harry's". The New Inn was shortlived, closing after a few months.

2004 - ?

The pub operated for many years under the name The Corridor, presumably referring to its long narrow interior. In the early 2000s, undergraduate students at Oriel College were warned by tutors not to visit, as they wouldn't be welcome there.

Thomsons Directory 2003 The New Inn Thomsons Directo2004 The Corridor

1870s-1916

Ghost sign reading ALLSOPP (photographed 24 September 2013)

The pub originally dates from the mid 1870s.

Oxford City Council's heritage registry describes the pub's history as follows:

"Built as the New Inn and recorded in Kelly’s Directory of 1877. It was a brewery pub owned by Samuel Allsopp and Sons. Allsopp’s were a very large Burton on Trent brewery in the late 19th century who made use of the developing railway system to establish a network of public houses across England. ... The pub was either rebuilt or refronted in 1916 by the architects Eadle and Meyers, and retains an attractive frontage to the street including parapet gabled returns to the street and faience clad pub frontage."[1]

Allsopp's bought Hall's Oxford Brewery in 1925.

 

Before then?

Cowleyroad.org is a DIY community history - help us write it!

Do you know more about this business, or remember what was at this address before? Do you have any old photographs or memories to share? Please add them to the site! Here is a how-to guide.

References

  • https://www.oxford.gov.uk/downloads/file/1551/the_corridor_public_house_119_cowley_road