This is the page for East Oxford Community Centre.
This is the East Oxford Community Centre. It's the hub of the community and lots of groups are located here, including:
- Oxford Action Resource Centre (OARC) - upstairs.
- Catweazle Catweazle Club - downstairs, weekly.
- Oxford Green Print - upstairs in OARC
- B.K. Luwo - a women's organisation started by women from Northern Uganda (see youtube.com/watch?v=m-HNtdFcPTQ)
- Oxford Lindyhoppers
Ed Pope is compiling an on-line archive of performances at the Catweazle Club, which has taken place nearly every Thursday in EOCC since the autumn of 2005
The buildings round the back yard have housed, among other projects, Bloomin' Arts (see Oxford Mail 15.8.2016 "Blooming 1970s Creativity"), its successor from 1977 Fusion (see http://livewell.oxfordshire.gov.uk), and the Oxford Claimants Union (for an oral history see http://vimeo.com/11237122)
The building was formerly the Cowley St John Boys' School built in 1871 (architect Charles Buckeridge).
Cowleyroad.org is a DIY community history - help us write it!
Do you know more about this business, or remember what was at this address before? Do you have any old photographs or memories to share? Please add them to the site! Here is a how-to guide.
- On Foot In Oxford No.12 East Oxford, Malcolm Graham 1987