This is the page for what would have been 204 to 210 Cowley Road
?Date - Present
At present this is Hughes House (residential) and Leon Close.
1936 - ?Date
This space was never built with houses but four numbers were left out for them. In 1936 Oxford City Council compulsarily purchased this 2½ acre site for the Schools of Technology, Art & Commerce whose principal was John Henry Brookes (1891-1975 see Dictionary of National Biography). Building was delayed by the war but in 1941 emergency engineering workshops were put up, followed by other huts. The Schools first appeared in Kelly's Directory in 1949 but never given a number. A new site for the Schools was purchased up Headington Hill, its foundation stone was laid in 1952 and it later became the Oxford Polytechnic and then Brookes University. The Cowley Road building later became the Oxford College of Further Education in September 1960 and quickly filled all of its spaces. However, it was not enough space and moved to Oxpens in 1970. This site remained as the Engineering department. It was listed as such in Kelly's Directory 1976.